Having Internet access at home can help you save money.
A typical family in the U.S. could save more than $7,200 per year by using the Internet for many basic needs, according to a study by the Internet Innovation Alliance.
Here is how you can save, too.
1. HOUSING. Search online for an apartment to find a greater pool of rentals, compare rents, and find the cheapest option. Site examples: www.padmapper.com; www.apartments.com; www.craigslist.org
2. AUTO. Conduct online research before buying a car to help you get the best deal. Kelly Blue Book information and prices from different dealers can give you the information you need to barter. Site example: www.kbb.com
3. TRAVEL. Book hotel, plane, and other travel arrangements online to for big cost savings. Some travel websites help you compare deals from a wide variety of airlines and hotels. Site examples: www.kayak.com; www.priceline.com; www.expedia.com
4. FOOD. Use the Internet to find coupons for your favorite products and deals at your favorite stores. Site examples: www.couponmom.com; www.peapod.com
5. NON PRESCRIPTION DRUGS. Purchase over-the-counter pain relievers, cold remedies, and natural remedies on the Internet for a lower price than at your local drug store. Site examples: www.drugstore.com; www.amazon.com
6. GASOLINE. Save on your gas bill by not driving to stores when you buy online! Use the Internet to find the cheapest gas prices in your neighborhood. Site example: www.gasbuddy.com
7. ENTERTAINMENT. Use the Internet to find deals and coupons for restaurants, concerts, museums, and events. Site examples: www.groupon.com; www.livingsocial.com; www.bargainseatsonline.com
8. CLOTHING. Buy clothes online to save both time and money. Some online stores offer deep discounts because they do not pay for a fancy storefront. Site examples: www.overstock.com; www.ideeli.com
9. NEWSPAPERS. Read newspaper content for free online at your favorite newspaper’s website. Site examples: www.sfgate.com; www.nytimes.com; www.chicagotribune.com
10. PAYING BILLS. Pay your bills online and save on the cost of stamps each month. Site examples: www.mycheckfree.com; www.chase.com; www.bankofamerica.com